Mamon is a popular chiffon or sponge cake in the Philippines. This cake is known for its soft and fluffy texture topped with buttercream and grated cheese. Perfect for snack or merienda.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ cup softened butter, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- grated cheese
WATCH: Video on How to Make Cheesy Mamon
- In a large bowl, sift and combine together the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: egg yolks, sugar, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract (optional). Mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the batter and meringue.
- Gently fold the meringue (egg whites) into the batter until well combined.
- Fill up about 3/4 of each molder with the cake batter.
- Gently tap each molder to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for about 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center becomes clean.
- To make the buttercream, combine the butter, powdered sugar and milk. Beat until creamy.
- Spread the buttercream on top of mamon and sprinkle generous amount of grated cheese.