- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup butter or margarine, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 pack pineapple flavor powdered juice
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ tsp egg yellow food color
- 3 ½ cups cornstarch (dissolve in 3 cups of water)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the Egg Wash
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- a drop of egg yellow food color
WATCH: Video on How to Make Pinoy Style Pineapple Pie
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: 4 cups bread flour, ½ cup powdered milk, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt and ½ cup sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add 1 ½ cups water and ⅔ cup butter or margarine. Mix until well incorporated and forms into a dough. Add more flour for kneading.
- Knead until the dough becomes smooth.
- Cut the dough into two parts. Flatten the first half of the dough using a rolling pin.
- After flattening the dough, place it into the greased baking pan. You may cut the excess dough but I prefer to leave it there and fit it on the sides of the pan.
- Poke holes on the dough using a fork. Set aside.
- Knead the other half of the dough. Flatten using a rolling pin. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3 ½ cups cornstarch and 3 cups of water. Mix until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- In a large cooking pan, combine 6 cups water, 2 cups sugar and 1 pack pineapple flavor powdered juice. Stir to combine.
- Turn on the heat. Add 1 tbsp vanilla extract and ¼ tsp egg yellow food color. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture. Stir continuously until mixture becomes thick.
- Immediately pour the pineapple filling into the prepared baking pan.
- Then, place the other half flatten dough on top of the filling. Cut the excess dough. Make sure to cover and seal the filling.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg wash.
- Poke holes on the dough using a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F / 180 C for 30-40 minutes.