Ube Puto Flan or Ube Leche Puto is a combination of two of the most loved classic Filipino dessert and snack in one, leche flan and ube-flavored puto.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 drops ube flavor/color (add additional as needed)
WATCH: Video on How to Make Ube Puto Flan
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix well until well-combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the molds
- Brush the molds with butter
- Strain the flan mixture. Fill in about 1/3 of each mold. Set aside
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix well until just combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peak forms.
- Add evaporated milk while continously beating
- Then, combine the egg white mixture to the dry ingredients. Whisk until well-combined
- Add butter and ube flavor/color. Mix well just to combine
- Add additional drops of food coloring as needed. Set aside
- Boil water for steaming
- Arrange the molds with flan mixture for steaming
- Steam for 5 minutes at low heat or until mixture is no longer liquid
- Wrap the lid with cotton cloth to avoid water from dripping into the flan
- Pour puto mixture on top of the steamed flan
- Steam for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before removing from the molds