Your favorite mamon, just got carameluscious…
This Caramel Mamon is a soft, fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth mamon glazed with yummy caramel topping and sprinkling of crushed nuts.
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh or evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup white sugar (for the meringue)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch dissolve in ¾ cup water
- crushed nuts
WATCH: Video on How to Make Caramel Mamon
- In a large bowl, sift and combine together the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: egg yolks, sugar, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Beat until no lumps. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the batter and meringue.
- Gently fold the meringue into the batter. Mix until well combined.
- Line the mamon molder with the mamon liner.
- Fill up about 3/4 of each molder with the cake batter.
- Gently tap each molder to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for about 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center becomes clean.
- Place in a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir and set aside.
- To Make the Caramel Topping: In a pan, caramelize the sugar over medium-low heat.
- Cook until it turns amber in color.
- Add the water and stir.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the caramel carefully. Stir until well combined.
- Stir until smooth and glossy. Continue stirring until it turns amber in color and slightly thickened.
- Set aside and let it cool.
- Glaze each mamon with the caramel.
- Sprinkle with crushed nuts on top.