Moist Chocolate Cake is a cocoa-based cake with chocolate frosting using cocoa powder. It is a moist, chocolatey cake and taste like Red Ribbon’s signature Chocolate Cake. This recipe is perfect for birthday celebrations.
- 3 cups (450g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups warm coffee (3 tsp (6g) coffee powder + 2 cups (473 ml) warm water)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white vinegar
- 2 tsp (8g) baking soda
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 1 tsp (6g approx.) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (158 ml)vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (70g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (474 ml) fresh milk
- ½ cup (75g) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60g) all purpose cream
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ¼ cup (57g) butter
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
WATCH: Video on How to Make Moist Chocolate Cake a la Red Ribbon with Chocolate Frosting
How to Make Chocolate Cake
- In a large bowl, combine and sift the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Combine warm water and coffee powder. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients: coffee, vinegar, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and eggs. Whisk until well blended.
- Combine the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Beat just until well combined.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper. Pour the chocolate batter onto the lined baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350˚F / 175°C for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl, combine and sift the dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour and a pinch of salt. Then, add sugar. Whisk until combined.
- In a cooking pan, put the dry ingredients and milk. Stir until the powder dissolves.
- Add all purpose cream. Turn on the heat to a low setting.
- Stir continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Add vanilla extract and butter. Then, turn off the heat.
- Pour the chocolate frosting on top of the chocolate cake.